Solar Thermal Installation
Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems
Solar Thermal systems are an excellent replacement for any fossil fuelled hot water system and can produce 55°C domestic hot water in the same way as gas or oil boilers and can be mixed down to be suitable for safe use for washing and bathing.
- Save money on your heating bills
- Use a sustainable and renewable fuel source.
Dragon Renewables based in Saffron Walden, Essex has extensive experience gained since 2004 of specifying, planning and installing Solar Thermal hot water heating solutions. Keen advocates of sustainable and renewable solutions we have worked on domestic and commercial properties alike, installing in-roof and on-roof panels to meet our customer preference.
Choosing The Right Solar Thermal Solution
When choosing Solar Thermal to heat to provide hot water it is important to consider which type of panel to use ‘in-roof’ or ‘on roof’.
‘In roof’ panels become the weathering surface of the roof and are fixed directly to the roof battens after the removal of the existing covering. They are waterproof with a “flashing” similar to that used by roof light companies.
‘On roof’ panels require the fixing of brackets to support the panels leaving the roof covering beneath the panels.
Either solution will provide nearly all your hot water needs from April to October (if the weather is good).
Why Solar Thermal?
- Solar Thermal is an excellent way to stop using fossil fuels and is the best way to heat hot water and save fuel.
- Solar Thermal is suitable for application for all properties with a South, East or West facing unshaded roof.
- Solar thermal is 70% efficient at converting solar energy to heat but due toseasonal solar variations will not be available all year round.
Advice and Support
- We will help you to choose the right renewable solar water heating system for your property, budget and space.
- We can help you decide between in roof and on roof systems and flat plate and evacuated tube collectors. We will offer advice on the relative costs of each system and the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
- We can advise you on the roof space requirements for each system including the size of the hot water cylinder and the space this will require.
- We will be able to give you a guide on the annual running costs of your solar system .
- We can inform you of the latest Government support schemes.
We offer advice on the Commercial RHI for heating offices, warehouses, guest houses, factories, hotels etc.
- We provide a free telephone interview service to assess your requirements. If after this interview we have reached a point where a site survey is necessary we will visit you to finalise the choice of renewable hot water system, double check space available, panel options and the connections to the existing or future heating system. We charge an hourly rate +VAT including travel time for site visits.
- We can undertake a Solar calculation to select the correct number of panels and type of panel
- We can assist you in the selection of the correct size of hot water cylinder to match the number of panels.
- We can supply engineers calculations from a tried and trusted associate company to ensure your roof is capable of supporting the load .
- We can advise as to which roof slope will provide the ideal position for your solar panels
- We can install the electrical control system which will integrate solar hot water with heating from a number of different sources including existing fossil fuelled systems.
- We can advise on the levels of insulation required to reduce your fuel consumption
- We can organise your Green Deal Assessment through a tried and trusted partner company to allow you to gain your RHI payments
- You will need to check with your local planning office whether you need planning permission.
- We will put your panels on the chosen roof surface .
- We will plumb in the panels to the hot water cylinder .
- All the solar pipe work is pre-insulated
- We will order and install your new solar hot water cylinder. (If required)
- We will install the solar pump station in the prior agreed position
- We will connect up the solar control system and ensure that it is all working at commissioning.
- We will complete all the relevant Micro Certification Scheme (MCS) paper work for our side of the RHI scheme.
- We will provide a user file for the Solar thermal system according to the MCS protocol.
We will provide a timely reply to email and phone requests.
- We will produce clear itemised estimates clearly showing materials and labour costs and the same format will be used for billing, providing a clear and comprehensible system for your payments
- We will register your installation under our competent persons schemes for Solar Thermal Unvented Hot water cylinders and Electrical part P under ELECSA . We will register your new Solar Thermal system for the MCS installation certificate all of which will be sent to you by email.
- We aim to provide support for your newly installed system (via telephone) seven days a week between 7.30am and 9pm. If there is a problem with the system that we have installed or a fault of our making within the first 12 months we will provide a site visit free of charge.
- We can service your solar system biannually and supply and order any necessary parts other than those already covered by warranty (charged on a cost-plus basis).
- Biannual services will be charged at an hourly rate per man, including travel time plus disposables + VAT.
Passive House – Harkstead, Suffolk
Solar Thermal ‘On Roof’ Hot Water Panels
Dragon Renewables installed 4x Gasokol on-roof Solar Thermal hot water panels:
Fuel Saving: 1207kWhs
Income: 2055kWh x 0.192p/kWh = £ 394.56 pa
Total income (over 7 years) = £ 2761.92
RHI: Calculated at 19.2p/kWh
Why Choose Us?
Dragon Renewables is a small family-run business dedicated to providing the most appropriate renewable heat systems for your home or business.
- We supply a balanced and fair assessment of your requirements
- We supply a range of solutions and technologies that we constantly review and update and for which we are accredited under the Micro Certification Scheme
Other services we offer include:
- Solar Thermal Installation
- Maintenance services available
- Qualified and experienced Renewables Plumbing, Heating and Electrical experts.
For more information, or to arrange a free telephone interview about your requirements, please contact Jonathan Cooke today
Saffron Walden (01799) 598 086