Solar PV Installation
Solar PV Systems
PV systems are a very useful way of reducing your electricity purchase from the National Grid. Supported by the UK Government via the Feed-In-Tariff, (FIT) Solar PV presents (some say) a better return on investment than keeping your money in the bank.
- Save money on your electricity purchase
- Use a sustainable and renewable fuel source.
We have been installing Solar PV systems since 2011. PV systems are a very useful way of reducing your electricity purchase from the National Grid.
Benefits of Solar PV
- Enjoy free electricity
- Reduce your electricity bills
- Produce a financial return on investment better than current Bank interest rates (Correct Jan 2014)
- Cost and efficiency
Choosing The Right Solar PV Solution
When choosing a PV system it is very important to site where there is no shade as shading stops the system from working. Most systems are “on roof” mounted, some are “in roof” mounted others are sited on the ground. Buildings in Conservation areas and Listed buildings need planning consent and or listed building approval prior to installation.
You should consider the following when choosing your PV system;
- Will you site the PV system on-roof, in-roof or on the ground?
- The output of the panels is governed by the type of panels, number installed and the amount of space available
- The siting of inverter and generation meter should allow easy access (can be in a remote building)
Summary of options
Standard Panels are 1m x 1.6m
Smaller High efficiency panels are 0.8m x 1.6m
Inverters can have two channels to allow separate strings of panels to be connected.
16 panels cover 28m² of roof and give an output of 4kW peak.
Inverters are capped at a maximum output of 16A to comply with regulations
Feed-in Tariffs (FITs)
Generation Tariff with eligibility date or after 1 July 2013 and before 1 January 2014 <4kW (new build and retrofit) = 14.90 p/kWh
Lower Tariff (if EPC requirement not met) with eligibility date on or after 1 July 2013 and before 1 January 2014 = 6.85 p/kWh
Your energy supplier will pay you a set rate for each unit (or kWh) of electricity you generate. Once your system has been registered, the tariff levels are guaranteed for the period of the tariff (up to 20 years) and are index-linked.
You will get a further 4.64p/kWh (correct as Feb 2014) from your energy supplier for each unit you export back to the electricity grid, so you can sell any electricity you generate but don’t use yourself. At some stage smart meters will be installed to measure what you actuallyexport, but until then it is estimated as being 50% of the electricity you generate is exported (only systems above 30kWp need to have an export meter fitted, and a domestic system is unlikely to be that big).
Source: Energy Saving Trust
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
To get Feed-in Tariffs (FITs) at the standard rate for solar PV your property needs to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) of Band D or better. If you have an EPC which shows that your property is a band E, F or G you will need to carry out energy efficiency improvements before you apply for the FITs or receive the FIT at the lower rate of 7.1p/kWh for the lifetime of the tariff, currently 20 years.
If you have no EPC, you can use the tools on the Energy Savings Trust website to get an indication of the EPC band for your property and suggestions of what you can do to improve the energy efficiency of your property to gain a higher EPC band rating in advance of having an EPC done.
Advice and Support Services
- We can undertake a site survey to establish how many panels will fit on your roof and what the shading will be from surrounding trees or adjacent buildings.
- We can assist you in the selection of the appropriate solar PV panels based on cost and size
- We can supply a layout for the panels on your roof , portrait or landscape.
- We can contact an independent engineer to establish whether your roof can take the extra load of the added solar panels.
- We will agree with you the optimum position for the solar inverter and the generation meter.
- We can advise on the levels of insulation required to obtain the higher feed in tariff.
- We can organise your Green Deal Assessment through a tried and trusted partner company to allow you to gain your FIT payments
- We will arrange delivery of your panels to your home and unload them .
- We will fix them to your roof with the appropriate solar fixing system .
- We will install the wiring system from the roof to the inverter.
- We will fix the inverter and associated equipment in the agreed position and connect the solar cables
- We will ensure that it is all working at commissioning.
- We will complete all the relevant Micro Certification Scheme (MCS) paper work for our side of the FIT scheme. We will register your PV system for the MCS installation certificate all of which will be sent to you by email.
- We will inform Power Networks of your system and its specification
- We will register the PV system under our competent persons scheme with ELECSA
- We will Issue Electrical Test Certificates
- We will provide a user file for the PV system according to the MCS protocol.
- We will provide a timely reply to email and phone requests.
- We will produce clear itemised estimates clearly showing materials and labour costs and the same format will be used for billing, providing a clear and comprehensible system for your payments
- We aim to provide support for your newly installed system (via telephone) seven days a week between 7.30am and 9pm. If there is a problem with the system that we have installed or a fault of our making within the first 12 months we will provide a site visit free of charge.
- We can service your system annually if required and supply and order any necessary parts other than those already covered by warranty (charged on a cost-plus basis).
- Annual services will be charged at an hourly rate per man, including travel time plus disposables + VAT.
Why Choose Us?
Dragon Renewables is a small family-run business dedicated to providing the most appropriate renewable heat systems for your home or business.
- We supply a balanced and fair assessment of your requirements
- We supply a range of solutions and technologies that we constantly review and update and for which we are accredited under the Micro Certification Scheme
Other services we offer include:
- Experienced Solar PV Installation
- Maintenance services available
- Qualified and experienced Renewables Plumbing, Heating and Electrical experts.
For more information, or to arrange a free telephone interview about your requirements, please contact Jonathan Cooke today
Saffron Walden (01799) 598 086