Biomass Boiler Heating Systems
Biomass and Wood Fuelled Boiler Installation
Biomass boilers perform the same function as your existing boiler but use biomass as a feedstock, which if sourced correctly is carbon neutral. Biomass boilers are eligible for the Renewable Heat Incentive.
- Save money on your heating bills compared to Oil, LPG or Electric
- Earn tax-free income from the government for energy you generate
- Use a sustainable source for your energy
Wood fuelled systems are an excellent replacement for any fossil fuelled water based heating and hot water system. Biomass systems can produce high temperature water for radiators in the same way as gas or oil boilers and can be mixed down suitably for underfloor heating systems. When sourced correctly, biomass is a sustainable and renewable fuel source.
Dragon Renewables is based in Saffron Walden, Essex and has extensive experience gained since 2005 of surveying, planning and installing biomass boilers and wood-fuelled heating systems. As keen advocates of sustainable solutions we have worked on both domestic and commercial properties alike.
We are qualified Heating, Plumbing, Electrical and Renewable Technology experts and can help you with advice based on more than 30 years in Construction with 10 years in the Renewable Installations sector.
Choosing the right biomass boiler
When choosing a biomass boiler to heat your home and provide hot water it is important to consider which fuel (or feedstock as it is normally known) and boiler is appropriate for your lifestyle. There are three main types of feedstock used – pellet, chip and log. You may also wish to make a decision depending on what feedstock is locally available. We have a wide experience in wood fired heating installations from wood stoves with a back boiler through pellet stoves with a back boiler to pellet boilers, chip boilers and log boilers.
You should consider the following when choosing your biomass heating system
• Delivery and storage of feedstock
• Automatic or manual loading of feedstock to boiler
• Automatic or manual de-ashing of boiler
• Cost and efficiency
Advice and Support
- We will help you to choose the right renewable heating system for your property, budget and space.
- We can help you decide between log, chip and pellet systems and offer advice on the relative costs of each system and the advantages and disadvantages of each fuel type.
- We can advise you on the space requirements for each system including the fuel storage space
- We will be able to give you a guide on the annual running costs of log, chip and pellet boilers.
- We can inform you of the latest Government support schemes.
- We offer advice on the Commercial RHI for heating offices, warehouses, guest houses, factories, hotels etc.
- We provide a free telephone interview service to assess your requirements. If after this interview we have reached a point where a site survey is necessary we will visit you to finalise the choice of renewable heating /hot water system, double check space available, flue options and the connections to the existing or future heating system. We charge an hourly rate +VAT including travel time for site visits.
- We can undertake a heat loss calculation to select the correct boiler size , radiators, warm air heaters or underfloor heating .
- We can assist you in the selection of the correct output radiators
- We can supply a layout for under floor heating based on our heat loss calculations
- We can supply boiler room plans and sections
- We can supply and design the flue and supply lay out drawings
- We can design an electrical control system which will integrate hot water and heating from a number of different sources including existing fossil fuelled systems
- We can advise on the levels of insulation required to protect your boiler room from frost and to reduce your fuel consumption
- We can organise your Green Deal Assessment through a tried and trusted partner company to allow you to gain your RHI payments
- We will move your appliance into its chosen place from the delivery lorry
- We will plumb in the appliance
- We can insulate all our pipe work (after testing)
- We will order and assemble the required flue for your new boiler (or line an existing flue)
- We can install your underfloor heating system and commission it in conjunction with the boiler
- We can organise our plumbing partners to install a full heating system to run alongside our boiler installation
- We will connect up the chosen electrical control system and ensure that it is all working at commissioning.
- We will complete all the relevant Micro Certification Scheme (MCS) paper work for our side of the RHI scheme
- We will provide a user file for each installed technology according to the MCS protocol
- We will provide a timely reply to email and phone requests
- We will produce clear itemised estimates clearly showing materials and labour costs and the same format will be used for billing ,providing a clear and comprehensible system for your payments
- We will register your installation under our competent persons schemes for Biomass, flues under HETAS and Unvented Hot Water Cylinders and Electrical Part-P under ELECSA . We will register your new boiler for the MCS installation certificate all of which will be sent to you by email.
- We aim to provide support for your newly installed system (via telephone) seven days a week between 7.30am and 9pm. If there is a problem with the system that we have installed or a fault of our making within the first 12 months we will provide a site visit free of charge.
- We can service your appliance annually and supply and order any necessary parts other than those already covered by warranty (charged on a cost-plus basis).
- Annual services will be charged at an hourly rate per man, including travel time plus disposables + VAT.
Passive House – Felsted, Essex
Dragon Renewables were asked provide a system to supply hot water and some heating for this a new build passive house in Essex.
The clients did not want a complicated self lighting self cleaning boiler, and did not have the space for one.
The client wanted to burn logs as he has a plentiful supply which were already stored under cover. As Dragon Renewables had previously installed a similar system at Pin Mill in Suffolk, we suggested they take a look.
Passive House – Harkstead, Suffolk
Dragon Renewables installed an 8kW Õkofen auger-fed pellet boiler to a new-build Passive house near Ipswich. The boiler heats an Õkofen Pellaqua Thermal store to provide comfort heating and hot water to the house.
We calculated it would require approx 4000 kWhs per year of fuel. However owing to the way SAP software works the EPC calculates the requirement at 13561 kWhs pa.
RHI income: £1654.44 pa
Total income (over 7 years) = £11,581.00
Why Choose Us?
Dragon Renewables is a small family-run business dedicated to providing the most appropriate renewable heat systems for your home or business.
- We supply a balanced and fair assessment of your requirements
- We supply a range of solutions and technologies that we constantly review and update and for which we are accredited under the Micro Certification Scheme
Other services we offer include:
- Biomass Boiler Installation
- Maintenance services available
- Qualified and experienced Renewables Plumbing, Heating and Electrical experts.
For more information, or to arrange a free telephone interview about your requirements, please contact Jonathan Cooke today
Saffron Walden (01799) 598 086